As many of you crafters know it is very scary doing this as we have all been brought up to love and cherish books and when you start ripping out pages you feel very very naughty. My daughter Amy (18 and a dedicated book lover) was nearly in tears when she saw what I was doing.
I made two different layers as seen in the main two photos. I tried looking on different blogs for ideas but in the end I just decided to go for it. I created the main apperture a chapter into the book and gradually cut and tore through the book making diaganol cuts with my craft knife and ripping around the edges.
Before sticking the edges down I inked the background page in shabby shutters distress stain and stamped some swirls and then gradually inked the edges in frayed burlap and tumbled glass stains as well as the green. I then glued the edges of the main part of the book and left it to dry overnight.
I created a garden using my tattered florals and leaves dies which were inked and spritzed before dipping the layers of the flowers in clear Utee to create my glossy enamel flowers.
With the first chapter I created a slightly smaller window to give a small taster of the garden beyond inking and sticking it as before.
I stamped and inked a verse for the left hand page and inked and heat embossed the key and padlock.
I have left some blank pages at the front as I may add to it as time goes by and I may even tackle the book cover but I think that will be a differnet adventure.
The photo below shows the first cut out before I started sticking everyhting down and cutting out the other chapter.
I hope you like it, it was definitely an adventure and one I may repeat when the occassion requires it, it definitely needs a lot more planning and thought than a tag !
I am entering this into the Simon says Stamp and Show - Anything goes challenge
The Stamp man challenge - Shabby Chic or Distressed this book and my daughter are definitely "Distressed".
The Craft Room Challenge - Ink It


It's fab! I love it. Those different size windows are amazing. Such work. Am glad I did my 1st one too, I now feel I can recycle an old book, if no one else is going to love it, that is! Zo xx
ReplyDeleteBeautiful project :o) Fabulous stamping. Thank you for joining us this fortnight at Craft-room challenge. Good luck. hugs
ReplyDeleteNIKKI DT
Gorgeous alters book, I love the niches and the flowers, key and heart are lovely additions. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x
ReplyDeleteI felt the same the first time I ripped up a book :-) great project though, love the spring feel,- a little treasure book, thanks for joining us at craft room challenge, debi x
ReplyDeleteThat's fab. Weel done and ignore your daughter!!!
ReplyDeleteThis is stunning! I felt exactly the same when I tore up "Heidi" to do one, but I thought that altering was also a lovely way to keep a book. I love your design in this and the little garden of flowers is beautiful. Thanks for joining in with our "Ink It" challenge over at the Craft-Room, and good luck in the draw.
ReplyDeleteMaria x
Sara....if this is your FIRST altered book....oh my gosh! What are you going to do when you make a second one? haha This is amazingly beautiful! I love all the detail and the soft colors you chose. What a work of art! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy
ReplyDeleteLooking incredibly fantastic! Love the two apertures and the layers of detail! Really great Sara - worth the pain of cutting into the book!
ReplyDeleteI am lucky enough to have seen this in the flesh.. so to speak and it looks even more gorgeous than the photos!! Fantastic work Sara. You have really inspired me to have a go.
ReplyDeleteVery beautifully done, I have not dared take the plunge & alter a whole book so well done!
ReplyDeleteOh my! scary to do but the result WOW glorious thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge Good Luck XOXO Zoe
ReplyDeleteHi...WOW. Your project is just amazing - love your attention to detail. I have altered a few books in my time and must admit I do love working with books/text! Thank you for sharing it with us at the Craft Room challenge this fortnight! Suzanne :)
ReplyDeleteI love your altered book Sara, a fabulous experiment on your part and well done for just going for it, so worth all the effort.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this lovely with us at The Stamp Man.
hugs {brenda} xox