Monday, 6 August 2012

Postcard from Abroad

This fortnights challenge at Crafty Boots has been set by the lovelly Gabrielle and she has set us the task of creating a post card so heres my vintage version all wrapped up with a pile of keep sake letters that I have imagined digging out of a battered old suitcase when sorting through an attic.


I cut plain white card to the right size and rounded the corners before staining with broken china and tumbled glass and some walnut distress stain. I roughed all the edges and inked again in the walnut stain.

I used 2 stamps  one from Indigo blu Grand Tour 2 and the other from Glitz Clear Stamps Distressing set 3.

 Once this was all dry I roughly swept a clear embossing pad across the top and covered in clear embossing powder before tapping off the excess and heating. Once the embossing was dry I inked it again with the walnut stain to get in the crevasses to give it that worn out look.

The pile of letters were created from just rough paper torn and roughly inked before being tied with some scrap ribbon that I inked with brushed corduroy distress stain.

 I think people have forgotton how lovely it is to receive a post card from family and friends when they are away as facebook, twitter and all those lovely bits of technology seem to keep most of us connected even when we are away, so this week when I go away for a few days camping my challenge to myself is to try and write and send a couple I am sure there will be time to write them while its raining :o) They will probably arrive at their destination after i ahve returned but thats half the fun seeing how long they take to get delivered.

I cant wait to see your designs so hope you can squeeze some time into crafty between, holidays work and looking after family. xxx

6 comments:

  1. Love the postcard and the bundle of letters. Totally believable that you found it in the attic! Love the colours! I totally agree that we have lost the art of postcard writing - social media is so much quicker and immediate but doesn't have the excitement of a handwritten postcard plopping through the door... maybe we should start a revolution!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the romantic back story you have created to go with your vintage look postcard Sara. You have given us a great tutorial in distressing and the overall effect looks fantastic.

    I also mourn the demise of the holiday postcard, I too blame all the things you listed as well as the cost of postage. I have also noticed that sadly Christmas cards have started to go the same way. Perhaps we should start a campaign.

    Dionne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...gorgeous colours, the lush blue against the brown is just heavenly & super images so well inked make this a delightful piece...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely this Sara, what lovely creative thoughts.. So romantic. The colours and style are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely - a great colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just gorgeous - vintage find stamped all over them! I can completely imagine them turning up in an attic, remnant of some long-lost affair. Beautiful colours, just lovely all round!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. It is really exciting seeing who has visited.